Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The 50-Foot Bouquet


Yesterday, I received a review copy of Debra Prinzing and David Perry's new book, The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers, published by St. Lynn's Press. I'd heard Debra speak about their book at the Chicago Flower Show last month and even got a sneak peek at it after her presentation. It's a beautiful book that promotes the use of local flowers rather than those imported from Ecuador and other countries.

Local means different things to different people, but you can't get much more local than your own backyard. I've often said that I find it difficult to cut the flowers from my garden - I like seeing them in their natural environment. But this unseasonably warm weather has shortened the duration of the blooms. Spring flowers aren't used to summer heat.

So I took my pruners outside and I gathered a bouquet to enjoy inside. I hope you enjoy it, too.



Virginia bluebells (Mertensia virginica)


Narcissus 'Thalia'


Lilac (Syringa vulgaris 'Sensation')




Summer snowflake (Leucojum aestivum)


Narcissus 'Mt. Hood'




I'll be reviewing The 50 Mile Bouquet soon on my other blog, Gardening by the Book, as well as on Horticulture magazine's website.




4 comments:

Jennie said...

Such pretty flowers. My goal someday is to have enough flowers growing that I can always have some in the house. (Well, except during winter, but phooey on winter.) It probably won't happen until we quit renting, though.

Mary Hysong said...

wow your flowers are really beautiful! I'm working mostly on food so the flower beds have gone by the wayside for the time being!

Stephanie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

beautiful! looks like a great book.

Debra said...

thanks for the shout-out Kylee!
I love your bouquets!
Cheers, Debra

blogger templates | Make Money Online